Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Blue Cross

Ever think about why you get charged the little fees on the phone bill or insurance bill or any of the many bills we receive each month. It's like gas prices. Twice a year gas prices go up in California - well, we all know it goes up 360 days and comes down five days, but twice a year our gas changes content and the price change is a few pennies for each change. To change it to the cleaner gas +2 cents. To change it back +2 cents. The exact increase is a little less but just a little.

So here is my thought on this. Assume they started this in 1990, who knows when and that isn't the point. 1990 gas went up 4 cents (2 up the first time and 2 up the second time). In 1991 it went up 4 cents. In 1992 it went up 4 cents. We have 50+ cents built in (we'll go for 10 years or so with this line of argument) for these increases BUT they never reduce the cost even when they change it back. So we pay to change it to A and then we pay to change it to B and then we pay to change it to A, but we already paid that amount once, why do we have to pay for something we already paid for?

I just received my Blue Cross medical/dental bill. I have paid, for example, $350 for two months. I have paid this minus increases in rates, forever. For this amount of money I get insurance. Now Blue Cross is charging me $2 administration fee to handle the check I send. They will waive the fee if I pay online. We can't pay by check unless we want to be dinged. Why? I paid for their insurance and exorbitant as it is, I paid it. They were making due before. Now they want fees. You go for coffee at Starbucks - pay $3.50 for the coffee and then an additional $1.00 for employee costs to make the coffee. Doesn't that seem a little ... much.

I seem to offer my suggestions on many topics from music and film to health care - here is a really good suggestion Mr. Blue Cross et al ... you will be taken over by the government and no one will care while you are being strangled because you have followed a path that leads us right to socialized medicine. STOP now, stop alienating every subscriber, stop alienating every human being in America, stop making it impossible to defend you against the take-over mentality. When it happens, you will be indirectly responsible for the failure of health care that results.

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.