Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fires, Floods, and Idiots

I have no article this time to link, but I was thinking about something on the way home from a drive to the beach earlier today. I live where I live, they live at the beach. I have a smaller mortgage, they have a bigger mortgage. I make less, they make more. The fires come over the hills toward my community, I have a freeway in between and will never face the wrath of fire or floods where I live. yet for the select few who can live in areas prone to 'water damage' and 'fire damage' I am left wondering - why do I have to pay (taxes) to fix your community when it falls down. I understand it is not all paid by the taxpayers of California, in fact, the American taxpayers are often called upon to shoulder some of the burden. The first parts are all insurance or private self-funded, but it's the part that involves my taxes that bug me. If I drive down to that area where I am not allowed to wander and it is no lost colony I am referring to, I can't go there ... someone will stop me. If I walk on the beach the big hissy will come out and call the sheriff or his sister Babs will scream hysterically at the mere footprints upon their sand of me, a mere interloper.

Why then should I care whether all their homes burn down or are washed away by the great flood of XX?

I think the people of a few beach communities need better PR because if I lose interest in paying that means 90% have already lost interest.

I'd rather keep the place around a little longer, at least until the oceans rise and we have an underwater city. I like snorkeling, and Babs can't swim and neither can the big hissy.

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.