Sunday, March 30, 2008

Does Anyone Else Dislike ......as Much?

Or insert whatever it is you do for remuneration? And I do not mean dislike ALL the time, just whenever it is that one aspect of your job gets to you. I would prefer to have my teeth extracted without anesthesia than grade. Silly I suppose, unless I have had it done (once). I have also had a filling without the use of any anesthesia (once). I prefer those experiences to grading.

Whatever our job might be, we probably procrastinate doing something. We don't like paper work, we dislike meetings, we do not care for those who are our superiors - I dislike grading. I had a fingernail pulled off once, again without anesthesia. It was painful and bloody and if I could get away without grading for an entire semester and have one fingernail pulled off, I would probably go for that deal. That deal was painful and it took 3-4 months for the nail to grow back. It was very unpleasant, but preferable to doing grading.

I am planning on a trip soon, to England and I am thinking about grading while I fly. I will have a huge stack by that time and the question I will think about until the moment I get off the plane will be - should I bring the grading along to do on the plane, or not. I could watch a movie, sleep (and hopefully if I work it right, the flight will not be full and I should get a row to myself), or grade. I also wonder whether it will take my mind off flying. Thousands of flights a day leave each airport, hundreds of thousands of flights a day take off and land on some runway in some city somewhere. My problem is, unlike the chance of losing a fingernail through some fluke accident or teeth being pulled out (unless you are a spy) grading may actually be preferred, to being on a plane that doesn't land properly. A fear of flying - maybe. A dislike for sitting on a plane for ten hours - for sure. Grading? I prefer grading to flying.

Maybe it is relative to something we dislike even more. Like doing homework/assignments / reading texts. I dlsike flying more than almost anything else I can think of, short of meeting al-qaida, any where.

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.