Friday, May 23, 2008

Discuss, Debate, Opinion, Facts

I believe in a God, a good thing to believe, I think, but I am more than willing to hear the argument for the opposing side and or be questioned on why I believe what I do. If I am not willing to be questioned, if I fear being mocked or ridiculed for my beliefs, then I have to wonder how strongly I believe what I believe. Are my beliefs simply those accoutrement I keep around unless it becomes too complicated or burdensome.

If I believe UFOs exist and I refuse to engage someone in debate or discussion because I fear looking silly or my words twisted, how will I ever test what I believe. Do I need to, or am I certain I am right - just like the known world and their belief in the 14th century that the world was flat. How do you know what you believe is accurate if you refuse to be questioned about what you believe? You simply believe what you do regardless? Makes sense - like believing in fairies regardless of reality.

Why is it fine for a professor to lam bast the president, attack the military, and accuse the US of malicious and vile acts - and no one questions him. Yet, question economic policies or the ineptitude of democratic candidates and you have become too extremely right-wing to talk to or engage in debate out of fear your words get twisted or you look silly.

I believe some people find it too difficult and they avoid the discussion. They would prefer (I think) to argue emotionally and with feelings, then to consider any of the issues rationally. I do not have the answer to the resolution of this issue, but I do know it is an issue, and anyone at any time should feel free to raise the issue and discuss it - but, stand ready to be cross-examined, for you do not get to accuse the United States of monstrous acts, and get away with it just because that is how you feel, nor because that is how your other professor feels or the NY Times or Moveon.org feels. At one time, everyone felt the earth was flat.

I feel like a headache, but I don't blame you.

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.