Saturday, July 11, 2009

Obama Dental Care: Fix Your Own teeth Part 4 1/2

Gobsmacked! Unable to see a dentist, pensioner says she's told to fix broken tooth herself


By Daily Mail Reporter
22nd May 2008



When the cap came off Ellen Drake's tooth she thought a few calls to a dentist would soon sort it out.

But after three months of trying, and failing, to get an appointment the 66-year-old pensioner was so angry with the DIY advice she says she was given that she fired off a letter to the Prime Minister.

"Gordon Brown wrote back saying he was sorry for my grievances and gave me a help number for dentists but they were all full, too," said Ellen, of Podsmead, Gloucester.


"I tried dentists all over the county and some of them even told me to go to Boots and get stuff to fix them myself.

"I was shocked. I wouldn't know where to start.

"Now I've still got this cap out of my mouth and it has been out since before Easter."
She explained that she'd kept going to the dentist but could never get an appointment.

"They kept filling up and could never fit me in. I tried so many times but I could not get in anywhere."

Ellen, who has lived in Gloucester for over 11 years, said she had also been told she could call and try to get an emergency appointment but that failed because her problem was not classed as an emergency.

"I was told I have to be in pain to qualify and because I only want a cap put in I can't get to see a dentist that way either."

A spokeswoman for Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust said the organisation was working hard to improve access further.


"It is true that a cap repair kit could provide a temporary fix but we would always advise patients to contact a dentist for treatment that would provide a more permanent solution," she said.


"There is some NHS dental availability in Gloucester for new patients at the current time and we are working hard to improve access further."


Dental repair kits, which can be bought from most chemists for as little as £10, contain cement mixture and a small wooden tool to mix and fix the tooth.

They are meant only as a temporary remedy to secure fixtures until the person can see a dentist.











English


health care

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.