Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Problem with Statistics

Numbers do not lie, but how you phrase the words and numbers, conveys different messages.  Such as:


In 2008, 6.5 percent of the U.S. population failed to obtain needed medical care due to cost at some time during the year.

 - Provided by The World Almanac 2010


Why?  Because in 2008, there was at least one time I did not go to the doctor to have him check out this pain in my foot.  I remember it vividly - March 3.  I didn't have the necessary cash so I put it off and went two weeks later.

Ta da.  The quote from the World Almanac is accurate but it does not mean I did not go to the doctor.

Same with - have you done to bed at any time in 2008 with a concern about having food or healthy food for breakfast the next day? 

We hear about this.  Matt Damon is often running around quoting this drivel.  Does it mean some people do not go to bed hungry - I am sure there are, but -  Once in 2008, I went to bed with a concern for having any food for breakfast the next day, or for that matter lunch and dinner as well. 

Why?  I didn't have any food in the kitchen I liked, so the next morning I went grocery shopping and bought the food I liked.

Again, stats are correct, but not entirely accurate.

We need to be careful when we see polls or any statistical analysis - it can always be played a different way than is presented.










stats

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.