Monday, January 4, 2010

Phones and Neighbors

I was talking to my neighbor about cell phones and asking his opinion on what he belives is best.  Neighbours are such a funny lot - chatty at times and reclusive at others.  Unfortunately, I always have someone outside.  With 4-5 houses surrounding me ina horseshoe shape, someone is always around.


While we talked about cell phones, he asked me what I thought of an internet gossip person - I knew the name vaguely, from people who had raised the name in my presence - so I told him: (from the bottom up) I find people who live to gossip about other people to be some of the lowest forms of life on earth.  He seemed aghast at my subtleties and further queiried me - so tell me what you really think of gossip columnists online or in the paper or television .  So I told him very clearly so as not to be vague or ambiguous about my feelings - terrorists and child murderers/rapists/peadophiles are at the bottom of my list, above which are murderers (of anyone but children), rapists, and other serious felons.  Bad governments - Chinese or Cuban, Venezuela, or Vietnamese, North Korea, Iranian ... bad leaders rank just below the rapists and around the murderers level.  People who steal your property or income followed by gossip hounds.


People who live to talk about others, either to put them down or champion some retarded cause, are insecure not only about themselves, their childhood, their reason for living, they have very little value to us - the mass of humanity.  They procure silliness and weakness from slimeballs and shitheads, wrap it up and tell us all about it - as if 1) we need to know, 2) we should care, 3) it matters, 4) it is anyone's business ...  Bugger off is a reasonable expectation.  I wish, for each and every person who indulges in the 'industry' of gossip - crippling arthritis, speech impediments, and an inexplicable need for oxygen tanks.  My neighbor asked me how could be so cruel?  Honestly, in a world where up is down and down is up - I don't care whether or not it is cruel - because it is cruel only to him and two dozen other people who have been kicked in the head, one too many times by their mothers.  For the rest of us, it would be serving a greater good- much like the hospital evaluations teams that will be coming your way thanks to Obama - to determine whether or not the government should spend the $15,000 on your surgery or if it would be put to better use helping an illegal alien who is 20 years old.  After all, he has 60 years of hard labor ahead of him.  You ... less useful.


After we finished with the gossip topic, he asked me what I thought of Obama's ratings - they seemed to be falling faster than a rock from space (ok, not quite as fast):  I told the neighbor that occasionally the people get it right and occasionally we get it wrong.  Sometimes when we get it wrong, we learn quickly (Jimmy Carter), but we have to live out the rest of his term.  Sometimes when we get it wrong (Johnson), we feel bad for the guy and elect him because he has some connection to something larger than our individual self, offering us a change from the past yet a connection to what we believed we valued.  Then we accept it and trudge through praying for a miracle - perhaps Congress will see the light and act in accordance with the wishes of the American people.  My neighbor was unsure of what I thought of Obama, by the end of this discussion, so we changed topics - cell phones.


I told my neighbor - Barry is his name, that I want the Xperia.  I had wanted the Xperia 1 but they are now a generation away from that version.  I believe they are on Xperia 10 ... even better, and more money. In any case, it is my dream phone.  For now, a Blackberry.  I can't complain too much - Canada, Waterloo, if I am not mistaken.  Practically American except they speak funny.  I always thought it was a good phone, but since phone companies decided it was more fun to charge nearly $30 for access, hard to imagine two phones X $30 = $60 just for access plus the costs.  Too much.  Not a Blackberry issue so much as a carrier issue, but still.   Next on the maybe list is the Motorola Android.  It is the iphone, but heavier and less sleek.  It is the Xperia but not as extravagant and options laden.  The iphone will be made available, hopefully this year, and maybe ... maybe.   My neighbor has the Motorola Android - he likes it.


By this time, it was getting dark and cold and I was finished.  I said goodbye and came inside.  Bed time for Bonzo.









nothing

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.