Saturday, January 24, 2009

Obama, Guantanamo, and Promises

ANALYSIS
Bush's 'War' On Terror Comes to a Sudden End

Obama Plans to Close Guantanamo Prison

President Obama is expected to sign an executive order that would close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, within the next year. Yet his administration faces a slew of legal and diplomatic hurdles, and if the effort stumbles, it could bring steep political costs.

By Dana Priest
Washington Post
Friday, January 23, 2009; Page A01

President Obama yesterday eliminated the most controversial tools employed by his predecessor against terrorism suspects. With the stroke of his pen, he effectively declared an end to the "war on terror," as President George W. Bush had defined it, signaling to the world that the reach of the U.S. government in battling its enemies will not be limitless.


[To read the article in its entirety, click on the title link]

***************************************

Property agreements/contracts and political promises have something in common.


I promise to never do Y as long as I live, and to spend every waking moment working to prevent Y from occurring again anywhere on earth, and to make every child smile, every mother sigh, every father secure. My campaign has made it clear we have many goals and I will not rest until we have accomplished our goals, culminating in my single-minded pursuit of the eradication of Y from earth. I will spend trillions, and raise trillions to fight the scourge of Y, never faltering, never settling, until mankind has been freed from this blight.


Ok. Now. After reading the above, - Do I have to fight and end the existence of Y?

But you say, you would then hold me to my promise, and or not vote for me given my failure to accomplish my stated intention.

My response - but I tried. I did everything I could. It was not my fault. You were not paying attention. I said I would and I was intent on doing so but for the goals I stated in the campaign - they took all the money, leaving me no resources to do what I said I would do. It wasn't my fault. It was ...

It was actually yours - for believing me you stupid fool, and then surprised when I didn't (couldn't).

I could even have a ceremony signing documents banning Y from occurring and have the paparazzi (media) in attendance.

And I would be telling the truth.

Such is the case of Guantanamo Bay and the many killers who reside there.

This story will continue to .... unfurl, but do pay attention to specific details, not the trumpets and fanfare. In the end, not much will be different - yet losercrats will herald His arrival as a moment to rejoice.


Foolish voters.





Stupid people

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.