Friday, November 13, 2009

Lunch + Friends = Happy + Obama + MSNBC = Unhappy Times

I went to lunch today with two people; both individuals came from the same background - Iran. One, a Jew, the other a non-practicing Muslim (in fact, from what I recall from all my conversations with the person, no one in the family ever had an interest in the religion). We went to a Persian restaurant.

They did the ordering and I smiled. I ended up with a chicken kebab and rice. Very good choice actually - rice and chicken are good food choices. The sweets after the lunch were the issue / problem. I don't know what they call them, but they remind me of baklava and looking at them adds inches. There were only 4-5 on the plate and we shared them so no one was eating a lot of sugar but after spending several weeks cutting sugar out, to dump so much back in at one time was traumatic!


So how does Obama get introduced into this delicious Persian lunch? Sadly, he was able to weasel himself into the conversation near the end. We ate our lunch, discussed the politics of the college, unethical people, professors bribed by students, professors who were loathsome as professors yet kept on because no one cared enough to do anything, and why blaming others for your own problems is sometimes taken for having a backbone (mistakenly).


One of the people at lunch was an attorney who kept pushing for details which was not the point of the lunch, even if they were eager to take it all the way to Sacramento - although I doubt anyone really cares, which is why unethical and unworthy people, remain in jobs they should not have 15 years past the expiration date.


We finished the lunch and then the unhappy part - MSNBC was brought up by one person, the other individual brought up a radio / TV commentator person, and it escalated. Pretty soon Obama was dragged into it and one of the people simply tuned everything out. They refused to consider even the slightest possibility anything was Obama's fault.


The acolyte of Obamessiah refused to at all think about the possibility they were not correct about their worldview. They simply refused. The other person offered them a deal - they would watch 1 hour of MSNBC with Olbermann or Maddow - no matter how painful, if the friend (the other Persian), would watch 1 hour of FOX. The Obama acolyte refused - categorical refusal to even consider thinking about the remote possibility of considering the offer to watch the TV.


The Obama acolyte made a statement to the effect that they could not understand how a person who was reasonably bright and kind and good, could fall for the lies and hate on the right.


The other person, again, a friend of the Obama acolyte for many many years, responded by informing the friend that they had not fallen for any lies and hate, because they were at any moment willing to discuss ideas and debate issues anytime anywhere, whereas the Obama acolyte was more interested in attacking personally (a bright person falling for lies implies less than bright and why would a bright person hold views that are hateful).


As I saw it - the person on the right was critical of the ideology of the left without attacking the person. The left attacks the person on the right, and in doing so, dismisses the ideas without any consideration, because they come from people who are wrong, and no one who is wrong has a right idea.


Such a simple worldview the left holds.  They are eager to be regarded as OPEN and TOLERANT, COMPASSIONATE, and PEACEFUL.  I was thinking about this issue for a different reason - it came up in some emails.  What is OPEN mean, what does it mean.  The LEFT runs around wanting the RIGHT to be OPEN about things, OPEN to change, OPEN to ... and I thought about it - being OPEN means very little.  When I was 21 or so, I did things and was involved in things that by the standards of even the most extreme leftist, would be considered pretty avant garde.  Tolerant - well, part of the avant garde would include tolerance for some things, plus a whole different world existed, one I was part of, involved in - from the punk scene and the sex pistols, to a whole world that we try to keep kids away from - and I thought it perfectly fine, ok, normal, good (insert adjective).  I was darned OPEN and TOLERANT.  Compassionate - I liked this person and they were about to go to Honduras or Nicaragua to help the Sandinistas or the poor, synonymous when you are a leftist - and she wanted to feed them and comfort them given the brutal repression by the US.  I was ready to go, but until two weeks before I never considered the fact I needed a passport.  I stayed, she left.  I was COMPASSIONATE, TOLERANT, and OPEN.  I didn't see too many liberals heading down to help the Sandinistas - yet I was almost and would have, if only because of my interest in the female (leftists are the same they just never admit to acting for purely selfish reasons).  PEACEFUL - I hated the cops, guns, the military, CIA, government, war, the oppressive America that repressed women and minorities and the poor and everyone around the world ... I had completely fallen in with the groups who wanted peace and love (and why not, love was, in my book synonymous with sex).


I was all those things, and then I grew up.  The LEFT wants these emotional catchwords that mean nothing - they want it for the sake of being OPEN not because it truly holds any meaning.  I realized it and saw a new world.


As we walked away from the lunch today, it was made clear that one side believed the left today were trying very hard to destroy the America that was and has been the greatest hope for mankind, the ideal all men seek. The person on the left said they believed, as passionately that the right was destroying America - and they refused to consider any other possibility.


What I didn't realize years ago, and what did not exist until more recently is we live on two different planes of existence, each occupying the same place, but each striving for something very different. We see and hear the same newscasts and yet we do not see or hear the same newscasts. We watch Obama speak, and each of us hears something different.  Someone is right and someone is wrong.  You cannot both be right due to the furture each side believes is best for America and the World.






I was quite depressed after lunch.











Obama

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.