Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Neighbors

Obama

It has been a long time since I have commented on my neighbors, and as I recall, the last time I did this, is where I begin this time -

Sometime last year - March or April, my neighbors got up and left. They abandoned their home and their mortgage and disappeared, but for the secret forays late at night, early in the morning, or during the early afternoon when the rest of the inhabitants of the street are at work, to collect mail.

I have seen them very early in the morning, stop the car, run out, collect mail, and take off. I have seen them in the early afternoon during the work week, because I do not work every day, stop their truck, jump out, collect mail, and be gone within 2 minutes. I have watched from my office window, late at night, a car drives up, someone jumps out, runs to the mailbox, collects mail, and disappears.

They abandoned their home. They did not misplace it. They did not get lost on the way home, they left and abandoned their home.

I did see them once ... I was at a mall in the Valley and turned and saw the both of them strolling by, packages under their arms, on their way, someplace important I imagine, maybe to collect their mail.

They bought when the values were high, and I do mean high. Somewhere near double what I paid for this property. Then the market dropped and they were stuck with a mortgage on a house they could not afford that was no longer valued at the price they paid. So they did what any responsible couple would do - they fled, into the night and abandoned the home, but for the late night forays to collect mail.

I have thought about, many times over the last 10 months, the possibility of buying the house, what new neighbors would be like, what if no one ever moves in (I always have extra parking). I understand the issue of getting in over your head - my student loans are way over the heads of mere mortals, but it is something I did, I caused, and I accept responsibility for - I do not run away and then, return when the First Fool drops some money on me. Responsibility. I would never have agreed to a mortgage that had a 5 year balloon balance, or some other sliding scale that saw the payment increase. I wouldn't. I'd stay in the apartment and be responsible.

Then Obama came along and decided he would offer funds to people who abused the system and lost property ... to prevent foreclosure. While many people worked hard and did not abandon their homes, these people did. I know they did - I saw them flee.

Now they are back.


Lights are on.


Yes, it is them. Yes, they are back.


We have never been late on our mortgage.

THEY have THREE trucks/SUVs and one car and there are exactly TWO of them.
They have a Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, Ford F-250, and a Toyota Camry.

He has a small work truck I never could figure out the brand, maybe a Toyota.

Three trucks, plus their car, plus the work truck ... and they opted to abandon their mortgage and flee ... and now they have returned. The Expedition is not brand new but is worth more than some Mercedez, the Navigator is expensive, the Camry is not cheap, the F250 is not cheap.

Someone might say they owe a lot in car payments - so GET RID OF THEM, SAVE THE MONEY, pay your mortgage.

I could hear someone saying - it's their choice, you can't make them, they can do what they want ... YES, and they abuse a system that tolerates the abuse.

They have abused a system, they have taken OUR money, and now they have settled back in, as if nothing happened.

I am NOT pleased.











Obama

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.