Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Evil Republicans

REPUBLICAN PARTY UNVEILS WELFARE PLAN

Washington - House Republicans struck first Wednesday in what is certain to be a contentious debate with the Clinton administration over how to reform the welfare system, unveiling a plan to force welfare clients to work off their benefits.

At a news conference here, the Republicans said recipients of public aid were lazy, neglectful parents in need of a moral tonic.

But their plan also recognized that change would not come cheaply, and it pledged to spend up to $6 billion a year to finance a strict workfare regimen for people who have received aid for more than two years.



I was sorting through files. Some housecleaning - out with the old and in with more crap I do not need nor will I ever use, and then I came upon the blurb above.

The Daily Bruin, November 11, 1993, page 4. My first quarter at UCLA, and my first real exposure to the lies that liberals tell.

The news story was in the section titled: Briefs. Brief news blurbs. Other stories that day included 'Israel will reduce forces in Gaza strip' and 'Mexicans angered by Perot's contention'. That last story is interesting given the crime stats I have posted on my blog about Mexico, but I will leave that issue as it is unrelated, and digresses too far off the path.

I read the article about the cruel Republicans calling welfare recipients 'lazy, neglectful parents' and something just did not fit. I went through the rest of my morning, and skipped the last and only class in the afternoon and instead went home and did some research.

NO newspaper I called: Daily News, Los Angeles Times, or the New York Times had any story similar to the one printed in the Bruin. Still unsure - maybe the story was swept under the carpet now that the Republicans had taken control from the Democrats ... I called the Bruin and spoke to a female - I asked her what news service they subscribed to. She asked me why I wanted to know. I explained to her that I did not believe the news brief about the Republicans and welfare. She was indignant and hung up (after she mentioned the service they used).

Called the service - no such story.

Called the US Senate - spoke to the woman who put the news conference together for the Chairman of the Committee on Welfare Reform.

Called Chancellor Young's office (he was the Chancellor at UCLA at the time) - pretty useless.

Called the Bruin and asked to speak to the Editor - met with him, pretty useless, mocked my interest in the issue, and dismissed me and the issue.

Young's office directed me to the faculty advisor who oversees the student run newspaper. I don't recall that persons name, and he was actually a reasonable person. He listened to the story - everything I had gone through in determining that the story was fabricated. Then he asked me if I would like to sit on a panel (have a job) that oversees the newspaper (amazing actually - to be offered a job without applying!).

I told him I all the investigation and research was not done to get something - it was done because I hate liars.

A week later, the faculty advisor called me to let me know it had been a matter of cutting for space. The person who was putting the page together had to cut and paste to make it all fit together.

Lies.

I let them know, when I caught them, that they wouldn't get away with it every time - someone could catch them and I decided to do something else - I went to the Bruin Republicans. I figured if one person (me) could rile up so many people, what could a pack of Bruin Republicans do. The answer was very clear from the moment I wandered in - NOTHING. They were as useless as an accordion at a duck hunt.

I do have the article, but when I scan it, my scanner turns it into a pdf file and I do not have the resources to change the file to something that would fit into this format. If anyone doubts my story (about the article in the Bruin), by all means go to Young library and pull out the Daily Bruin from November 11, 1993, turn to page 4 and there you will have it - the story of the Evil Republicans, and by extension --- Good Democrats. I do have the pdf file. The copy of the story is now in the trash.









liars

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.