Monday, December 8, 2008

DELL - I am sorry you have experienced ...

UPDATE:

Dell called on 12/7. A Case Manager.
We will see.


Dell


I currently own five DELL computers. I have owned more than five Dell computers. Several older models have gone to computer heaven (AKA Salvation Army / Goodwill).

I have owned computers since 1992/93. It was around December of 1992 that I bought my first computer. It was, as I recall, a 486 with 500 MB of hard drive. I began when Microsoft Windows was 3.1, if I recall correctly, or perhaps 3.0, although it has all conflated with the passage of time.

I did everything to my computer - I stuck a screwdriver into the wiring with it plugged in, I spilled liquid on the inside of the system/keyboard/peripherals, I deleted an entire hard drive, I wrote over documents - I caused conflicts and figured out the conflicts and resolved them.

I would use DOS to go in and repair and replace, change, check, and do maintenance. I had the skill set to do all that, and figured out the equivalent when Windows knocked DOS out of its place of prominence - Windows 98 and then ME.

I found lost sectors, lost documents, and found the disk material I had deleted. I learned how to fix what i did to the computer - not always using the technical terminology nor knowing why, just knowing how to fix what I did.

By the time I bought my second computer - Dell was the preeminent system to buy - due to, if nothing more, their customer service. My long time affair began with Dell around this time, and has continued through today.

I own two XPS systems. One is a little more sophisticated than the other, and much more powerful. The laptop, Dimension, and the other one I don't even recall at the moment. The kitchen, guest room, garage, office, and the laptop - all Dell.

I want speed - speed to do anything and never get slowed down. I want faster Internet, faster program openings, faster everything - and a lot of space to do it in, plus quieter.

The other systems are really older systems I upgraded from, and have turned them into systems for various other causes in the house.

I have found over the last many years, any time I have a problem - whether with Microsoft or Dell, that I end up knowing as much or more than the technician on the other end. All I want is to get my system/program fixed, and will let them believe my suggestion was their request, but in all honesty, here and now - most times I figure out the larger issue faster and more accurately than the automatons on the other end of the phone line.

Each Dell computer has had its share of issues. Most, I fixed, often on my own. Occasionally, I would call Microsoft or Dell, listen to what the 'technician' thought the problem was (often correct, but occasionally too bloody slow when I knew more direct routes existed to solve the problems), bounce my ideas off the 'technicians', even if they were unaware of what I was doing. Often, I would go along with their program - do this, now do that - meanwhile, I was fixing the problem my way. When it was fixed, I would thank them profusely and hang up.

Things began to change as Microsoft made everything a pay process. They charged for everything. Dell then moved its technicians abroad - India was number one, followed by the Philippines.

When I bought my first XPS four years ago - it worked perfectly for the first year, and then the issues began. I wrote a letter to Dell - to Michael Dell, Kevin Rollins (then President and Chief Executive Officer, Dell Inc.) and to Richard Hunter (Vice President of Dell's Customer Experience, Dell Inc.). I had an issue with my XPS and it was not being resolved with all the Dell assistance from India or the Philippines.

Every call is sent to India or the Philippines. I understand Michael Dell is fixated on India and the need to expand technical education in India to meet the growing computer need, but I am the one who ends up calling the service centers set up, and dealing with someone not quite as dumb as dirt, but close. Apologetic beyond belief. I don't need apologies, I ask for competence. I get apologies about everything and then even an apology about whatever made up issue I include to test their attentiveness. One time I mentioned I had dropped the computer on my toe and the person on the other end apologized for the trouble the computer caused.

I now start the conversation with some mention that it is not their fault, do not apologize, just help me fix it. They agree. They then apologize for the problems and inform me they will help me fix the issue. On occasion I will get someone who reveals information I did not know - when you call you get a screener or someone who directs you. However, before that person you may get the automated system that asks for the system tag and that will direct you to the screener who asks for your ID and perhaps name and phone number, and then they transfer you to India where 'Steven' will ask you the same information, confirm your phone number and apologize for any inconvenience.

The inconvenience I have suffered? Or continue to, by my being forced to deal with the same inane questions three times before someone will apologize for the wait and for any other inconvenience caused now or ever in my life. He was almost ready to absolve me of all sin / inconvenience I have ever incurred - like a Crusade for Computers.

I mentioned above that sometimes I get someone who reveals too much - I have had the third voice I speak to reveal that he did indeed have everything listed and didn't need all the information repeated. On the other hand, I have had 'technician' who claimed they needed the information or they could not (would not) help me. On one occasion I informed the voice on the other end of the phone that if he really wanted to know who I was, just check and see who has called the most times about the same problem - that would be me. He informed me he was sorry, but he did not have that information.

Questioning their competence does not mean nor should it imply that i think they are not friendly or caring people. Often they ask me how I am doing, what the weather is like where I am, and where am I (sometimes in that order). Wouldn't calling a weather channel give you the same information for cheaper.

My most recent issue -

I have an HP printer, actually I have two. My old printer, an HP 1000. I had it connected to my XPS in the office by USB cord, approximately a 10 or 12 foot cord, although the actual distance is much less, perhaps 6 feet. My HP 1000 began having 'issues' - random printing or no printing. I blamed the printer, after all - this XPS was just a year old and was the most powerful system (nearly) available when I bought it. I bought a new HP, 2015dn. Connected it with a new USB cord, same place, distance from the computer. The issues began almost immediately.

I would try to print two pages and I would get an error message in bottom right corner - something about usb not connected. The pages would begin. usually page one would print followed by forty pages of nothing and maybe twenty pages of various stages of page two. Possibly all of page two would print, eventually. if not, I would cancel the print job and try again, this time requesting only page two. page two would pop out followed by thirty pages of random characters. Multiply this by 100 since 9/30/08. I think, conservatively, I have wasted 5000 pages, trying to print, maybe, 100 pages.

I blamed HP. I called them for help. If Dell service was an exercise into the ethereal, HP was like calling Alice through the Looking Glass and down the rabbit hole. An experience I hope to never again repeat. All their workers were in India, even though they had names like Mary and John, and asked me what the best time would be to be called back on Eastern Time. When I asked where they were located, one 'technician' said he was on East Coast time. I let it go until the next time when someone else had a similar name - John, James, Joe - and they sounded alike. I pressed the question and that person finally gave up - India. HP convinced me it was dell, so i called Dell back. I ended up with a fellow in the Philippines.

The 'technician' in the Philippines was very nice, courteous, very apologetic, and less than knowledgeable, but he was very friendly, making it difficult for me to tell him I wanted to speak to someone who understood English as their first language. The 'technician' and his direct supervisor (went by the same name) did help me - they wasted hours of my time - 30+ hours, in trying to sort out the issue. They authorized a new motherboard and new power supply. A technician came to my home and spent three hours installing the two pieces of equipment. Then I was told I needed to restore my system. This is Dell's special way of reformatting the hard drive, but it is operational in minutes - sort of.

After I restored my system, I had to begin the very tedious process of reinstalling all my programs. It was more than 30 hours later and I had most reinstalled. Then the 'technician' called me back to check on the progress. From the moment the new equipment was installed through my restoration of the original operating system up until the 'technician' called me - the few times I used the printer, it worked fine.

The 'technician' then told me we had to update some things - I questioned him about one of the updates. I told him I really didn't want to. He said we had to, it was a required update. I reluctantly agreed and we updated the chipset.

I thanked the technician and said it all seemed fine. What else could I say. They had practically rebuilt my system.

The problems began, again, in earnest ... even more vigorous in spewing pages of no importance out of the printer and wasting toner and my patience.

I called HP back, told them it had to be their printer: I restored my system, new motherboard, new power supply - had to be their printer. The technician who, I think, was Swedish - he just didn't sound like all the others - asked me to do a few things: unplug the USB cord, turn on my laptop, bring in one of my other computers and set it up. Then he asked me to plug the USB cord from the printer into the laptop and print documents. I did and it worked, over and over and over without fail. I then tried the other computer - it worked - over and over and over, without fail. It was my computer, not the printer, said the HP technician before he hung up.

Now I started putting pieces together - USB not working, chipset - controls USB, factory setting chipset worked while the upgraded version didn't work, and then my keyboard and mouse go out on me, randomly. I get a notice in bottom right corner - USB not connected or not functioning. I unplug the cord to the keyboard or the mouse and plug them in another USB port and they work again, until they don't.

Seems simple to me. USB issues, chipset controls USB, technician required me to update the chipset ...

I called Dell with these new revelations. The technician informed me that they had already done all they could do - the problem had to be with the printer. They had, after all, replaced the motherboard and power supply. There was nothing else they could replace.

So I wrote a letter to Dell with all of these events laid out with date and time and technician name, and result. I sent it on the 15th. It arrived in Round Rock on the 18th or 19th. It was channeled and directed and sent to whomever ... 20th or 21st. Someone gets it to review on the 24th and ... well, never heard from them as yet.

I understand 10 days is not a great deal of time, but they have the letter, have reviewed it, and someone has it in their possession with no contact from Dell as yet.

Their customer service is inadequate. Their technical skils are deficient. Their computers are not the best or even very good. The computer before the XPS - the problems began 1 week AFTER the service plan expired. Amazing how that worked. Every system has problems, some large, some very large. I have gone a year max without the need for technical service, and then the problems escalate after the assistance. Their technical service knowledge created the most recent issue. I cannot say I will ever buy another Dell, regardless of the quality of other systems. I will not give Dell $1 more than I have already and I recommend no one else buy from them either.

I cannot make anyone not buy, nor is that appropriate, but, for the rest of my teaching career - I will make a point to inform every student that has the misfortune of sitting in my class, and anyone who ever inquires - that Dell computer is the last system they should ever buy.

What effect will that have? I don't know, and like every Dell representative, I am very sorry, but it is the least I can do for Dell, for all they have done for me.






dell

Dell

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.