Wednesday, November 7, 2007

And a one and a two and a ...

In the 1970s, Americans were entertained by Lawrence Welk who by today's standards would fall quite flat, but back in the day - he was quite the entertainer / conductor. I have no memory of him but for a very foggy image of bubbles and a polka music. None of that has any relation to the point of this posting but for the waste of time Americans spent listening to polka (or whatever it was he did) music.

Someone mentioned to me that I interrogate with my questions in class, much like a lawyer. I felt bad, for the person and for others who feel similarly.

My response is, quite simply - I don't.

What I do is direct the question to get the answer or phrase I want or need.

We have 20 seconds to get an answer out and move on. If I asked a question that was, preferable, it would be open-ended and discussion would be free-flowing with an answer located somewhere in a long-winded monologue consuming ten minutes and never fully accomplishing anything I want to accomplish.

I need to direct the question and the answer - not because you do not have something useful to say, rather I do not have the time to figure out what it is you are trying to say and make any sense of it and accomplish that task in my lifetime.

I want 1-10 word answers and I would prefer the answer to be given promptly and not the time schedule for a long lost tribe that sleeps all day.

It has nothing to do with interrogation, it has to do with making a point. I can tell you the point and you can ignore it, or I can pose it in a question form and have you answer it, thereby making my point.

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.