Monday, July 5, 2010

To Blackberry or Not to Blackberry

What are the reasons why I should keep the Blackberry?
- communicate with friends via Messenger
 * Yes except a few of my friends do not use smartphones, those who do have such things have the iphone,   and the one or two people I know with Blackberry rarely message me.

- it's a nice phone (the Tour)
*  Yes except so are all the phones I look at.  The Droid by Motorola was pretty cool, a little heavy, and now, virtually antiquated in less than a year.  The Droid Incredible changed all that - a cool toy again, does everything a Smartphone needs to do and a MUCH bigger screen than the Tour.

- you can update it or synch it with your computer files
* and you can with other phones or soon enough you will be able to.  Not enough reason to buy the BB.  Every time I synch it, I end up with doubles.  I tell it to add anything questionable because I don't want to go through each item one at a time.  Apparently I do not think alike when I use the BB and the computer because I have hundreds of additions which are actually duplicates.

- the BB server goes down randomly. 
* It goes down for everyone.  Except it isn't the antenna nor the battery life, it is the BB server wherever that might be.

- Battery life
* So short.  And then we get these wise comments such as: make sure everything is closed.  Oh, then lets not put everything on the phone.  Yes, like a computer you use up RAM when everything is running together, so why doesn't RIM come up with a little switch that informs the user they are gobbling up battery life like it was gasoline and it was 1950.

- Google maps v Android
* When you use the Droid Google maps and traffic are included with no charge.  Even on Verizon.  For the BB - no such luck.  I have to use Verizon Navigator and pay their fees.

- BB is stylish
* Oh and I care a whole lot about that - NOT.   I originally wanted the Sony Ericson X1 (although by now it may be on version X10.  I fell for X1 and the X2 and that was maybe a year or so ago.)  Talk about stylish.  I doubt anything can beat SE.  But the cost and I suppose BB is on the lower end of that range ... way down actually.  Anyone and their brother can afford a BB now.


I am not sure.  The Tour is fine, but.

We'll see what January brings.








cell phones

Make Mine Freedom - 1948


American Form of Government

Who's on First? Certainly isn't the Euro.